Developing Project- Adding Audio


As this is my final project, I wanted to challenge myself and add audio to my project. This is something that I did not want to include in my other programmes because firstly my logo was a shoe brand and I didn’t think it was necessary to add audio, and secondly web banners very rarely have audio as users find it irritating when they are online and automatically mute the advert. However, all television channel graphics have music or audio of some kind, from their own jingles or even the narrator speaking introducing the programme. I wanted a piece of audio that would reflect my sassy, sophisticated ethos and be smooth enough to work with the rippling curtain effect. On I started listening to various types of audio to find what I had in mind. Something that my feedback told me would work well is a piece of classical music. I tried this and although it was sophisticated it was too dull and uninspiring to grab an audiences attention. I bared this in mind and thought of using saxophone music, as this is classic yet still up beat. I listened to some pieces of music and found one saxophone piece called ‘too damn funky’, and after asking for feedback it proved to fit my televison identity well. Screen Shot 2012-12-13 at 16.53.28

After downloading my audio I had to include it into my Adobe After Effects composition. Firstly I imported the audio file onto my timeline at the position that I wanted it to be heard. I then exported the finished project as a SWF/Macromedia Flash compostion at a JPEG quality of 6. I then had to rasterize the audio and ticked the boxes so it looped continuously. This compressed the audio onto my project and played throughout the visuals.


Experimenting with Curtain Effects


When experimenting in Adobe After Effects I found an interesting effect. This curtain effect ripples underneath the text and creates a luxurious almost tempting feel. I started experimenting with colour whilst changing the tones and lighting of the curtain to make it appear more textured. The reason I chose this effect to experiment with was because it worked well with the idea of introducing a television programme at the beginning of the show, as its almost like waiting for the curtain to rise like in a theatre.

T0 create the curtain effect I had to first make a precomposed layer and change the colour correction/hue and saturation levels to zero. This then created a black and white layer. I then wanted the text on top to ripple with the curtain so it looked like one movement, and to do this I used displacement mapping and played with the evolution to make the effect slower. To then get the colour over my black and white layer, I duplicated the layer and placed it over the top.

Adobe After Effects- Developing My Channel


The previous white background was too bright and not common of a television channel, as it doesn’t attract audiences therefore I began looking for feedback. I found that the most popular colours for my audience are colours that are related to sophistication, sexyness, and luxury. Purple is also a colour that is related with royalty therefore this can represent my shopping channel as expensive and a higher-class. The purple is also feminine which is key for selling to women.

Developing My Idea


This was my first visual representation of how I want my television channel to look. The font I have chosen to use is a clear, classic and sophisticated, Cambria font which I want to reflect and attract my target audience. The shoe image, is an image that I created for my project 1 logo, and I wanted to use it here as the silhoutte creates a flat but sexy look. This is only a basic start to my project, however from here I can develop my ideas.